Is The Rubber tree poisonous for humans and animals?

63 / 100

The rubber tree is one of the most popular indoor plants. But one hears again and again that the rubber tree is poisonous for humans and animals. We clarify.

If you have pets or small children, it is usually difficult to find the right houseplant. The danger is too great that the dear little ones can get a poisonous plant into their fingers or paws. So is the popular rubber tree ( Ficus elastica ) poisonous or harmless? Below you will find out whether the rubber tree is poisonous to humans and animals and what to do in the event of poisoning.

Is the rubber tree poisonous to humans?

The rubber tree is not completely harmless, but actually slightly poisonous. Above all, one ingredient in the leaves is responsible for this. In addition to harmless rubber, wax, and coumarin, the leaves also contain chlorogenic acid.   It is this that makes the rubber tree a bit dangerous because it is a slightly poisonous substance. The bark of the rubber tree also contains yellow acid, which is just as poisonous.

Due to their ingredients, both the leaves and the trunk of the rubber tree are slightly poisonous and contact with the skin can lead to irritation and skin irritation. In some cases, allergic reactions can also occur. If parts of the tree are swallowed, this leads to irritation of the mucous membranes.

Poisonous rubber tree: is the rubber tree poisonous for humans and animals?

Symptoms of rubber tree poisoning:

  • Skin irritation
  • Allergic reaction
  • nausea
  • Vomit
  • Gastrointestinal complaints
  • diarrhea
  • cramps
  • Paralysis

The slightly poisonous rubber tree is usually harmless to adults if gloves are worn for all work on the tree and the skin is protected in this way. Because the concentration of poisonous substances in the plant parts is very low, swallowing does not cause poisoning in adults. It looks different with small children. Due to their low body mass, a small amount is enough to cause poisoning.

You Might Also Like How To Save A Dying Rubber Tree Plant

Since the rubber tree tastes bitter and inedible, children usually spit out the parts of the plant immediately. Only the smallest amounts of the poisonous plant parts enter the child’s organism. However, as soon as you notice that your child has eaten from the rubber tree, you should consult a doctor immediately.

Tip: If you are satisfied with a small specimen of the rubber tree, you do not have to do without it because of its toxicity. On a cupboard or a chest of drawers, it is out of the reach of children and is therefore safe for the little ones.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *