Is A Zamioculcas Zamiifolia Toxic For Humans And Animals?

31 / 100

The rumor keeps coming up that the ZZ plant, also called Zamioculcas Zamiifolia, does not live up to its name and is poisonous for people and animals. The ZZ plant ( Zamioculcas zamiifolia ) is often referred to as toxic or slightly poisonous. But what is it about these statements? Is the plant also suitable for households with children or pets?

Is A Zamioculcas Zamiifolia Toxic?

Have you ever tried a young wood sorrel (Oxalis acetosella ) in the forest or a bit of sorrel ( Rumex acetosa ) from the meadow? Then you will surely remember the sour taste that gave both plants their name. This taste is caused by oxalic acid. The same acid is also found in the lucky pen and is often considered to be poisonous. But as the saying goes, the dose makes the poison.

Is the Zamioculcas poisonous to humans?

The critical ingredient of the ZZ plant is oxalic acid, which is present in the plant in its solid form as calcium oxalate. However, there is no great danger from this. Larger amounts would have to be consumed for symptoms such as redness, nausea, or stomach cramps to occur. Kidney damage, as can occur from too much oxalic acid, is extremely unlikely. A lot would have to be recorded for that. Adults wouldn’t think of this anyway, but what about children? If a child bites off a piece of the ZZ plant in an unobserved moment, it will quickly spit the piece out again. Zamioculcas tastes bitter and is therefore not a pleasure. Because of this, there is nothing to worry about, because it would take a child far more than one bite to be poisoned.

Zamioculcas zamiifolia-2

Is the Zamioculcas poisonous for cats, dogs, and the like?

Pets are smaller than us humans. The smaller the body, the more violent toxins act. Even so, pets such as cats and dogs would have to consume a significant amount of the ZZ plant to get poisoned. And even after the first nibble, they won’t love the bitter taste of the leaves. Excess irrigation water that collects in the saucer poses a greater risk. This irrigation water can contain dissolved oxalic acid. The concentration should be rather low, but it is inviting for some pets to drink from the coaster. A nice planter or more economical watering of the plant can help.

Treatment measures for poisoning by Zamioculcas

Since only the ingestion of very large quantities of the Zamioculcas can lead to serious problems, no treatment is usually necessary. You should still take some precautionary measures in the worst-case scenario. These apply to both children and pets – as far as possible.

You might also like ZZ Plants Poisonous to dogs?

Measures in the event of poisoning by Zamioculcas:

  • Remove any plant debris from your mouth
  • Rinse your mouth with water
  • Give the affected child plenty of water to drink

If you experience serious symptoms such as nausea or stomach cramps, you should consult a doctor to be on the safe side.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *