1. Home
  2. /
  3. Garden
  4. /
  5. Daffodils: Toxic Or Not?

Daffodils: Toxic Or Not?

Post Author

Post comments

0
Daffodils: Toxic Or Not?

Daffodils (also called daffodils) shine in almost every garden at the beginning of spring. But are daffodils poisonous and can they pose a threat? Daffodils ( Narcissus pseudonarcissus ) shine towards us in a cheerful, sunny yellow from March and ring in the spring. But like the sun, you shouldn’t get too close to the shining Easter messengers. Here you have to look, yes, maybe touch, eat, no. We’ll explain to you why daffodils are poisonous and what to do if you’ve gotten too close to the floral radiant man.

Daffodils: origin and characteristics

Daffodils are often used as a common name for daffodils ( Narcissus). But botanically that is not entirely correct. Because not every daffodil is a daffodil. The daffodil (also yellow daffodil, Narcissus pseudonarcissus ) is a subspecies of the genus daffodils, which in turn belong to the Amaryllis family ( Amaryllidaceae ). Here is some information about the yellow Easter messengers:

  • Height: about 40 cm
  • Flowers: solitary, yellow
  • Flowering period: March to April
  • Persistence organs: onion
  • Distribution area: Western Europe and Western Central Europe
  • Location: sunny to partially shaded
  • Effect as a medicinal plant: Against skin diseases, colds, and whooping cough

The daffodil became the flower of the year in 1981 and is protected as a wild plant. One more reason to give the endangered plants in your garden a new home. Here you can find out everything about planting and growing friendly early bloomers. With the right care, daffodils can even multiply on their own using brood bulbs.

Despite its friendly appearance, the daffodil also contains toxic substances

Are daffodils poisonous to humans?

Despite its friendly appearance, the daffodil, like all representatives of the amaryllis family, contains poisonous substances. The plants contain Amaryllidaceae alkaloids. These chemical compounds provide natural protection against predators and parasites by having a cytotoxic (cell-killing) effect. Humans are not excluded from this. The onion in particular contains protective substances, but the other parts of the plant also have them in them. The cell sap of the daffodil can also cause skin irritation. However, these usually go away on their own.

Note: Leave cut daffodils in the vase before combining them with other flowers, because the poisonous sap is not good for other flowers either.

Recognize poisoning symptoms of daffodils

Typical symptoms of poisoning occur when one or more onions are consumed. Look out for the following complaints:

  • Gag reflex
  • Vomit
  • diarrhea
  • sleepiness
  • Sweating
  • Drowsiness

Consumption of larger quantities can lead to collapse and symptoms of paralysis and even death.

Measures against daffodil poisoning

If one or more of the symptoms mentioned occur, you should immediately consult an emergency doctor. Depending on the severity of the poisoning, he advises a proper supply of water, the addition of charcoal, or detoxification. Drinking water is recommended even at home when there is even the slightest sign of poisoning, as this dilutes the toxins. If you have a charcoal tablet in your medicine cabinet, you can’t go wrong with taking it either. The charcoal binds the toxins and prevents them from getting into the blood. Since the toxins supplied are not acid, vomiting can occur.

Daffodils are poisonous for your pets too!

Are daffodils poisonous to cats and dogs?

Especially with animals, it is important to keep the onions inaccessible or to watch out for onions that have been dug up. Because as little as 15 grams of flower bulbs can be fatal for dogs. The plants also pose a considerable risk to horses, pigs, hares, rabbits, hamsters, and cats, as well as birds. Watch out for symptoms such as:

  • Stomach and intestinal discomfort
  • nausea
  • diarrhea
  • cramps
  • Tremble
  • Cardiac arrhythmias

If you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above, you should definitely consult a veterinarian.

Share With Friends

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed

Recommended For You

LATEST POST

Menu